Tuesday, October 9, 2007

March




Finished reading March this weekend. It won the Pulitzer in 2006. A very emotional experience. It is the story of Mr. March, the father character from Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, and his experiences before and during the Civil War. Various details that are glossed over by Alcott are examined and drawn out by Brooks. We learn how the March family lost their fortune and came to live in the modest house next door to Mr. Lawrence. While this is exciting for Little Women fans, they should be aware that March is a difficult read at times. Brooks portrays the brutalities of war and the lives lead by slaves in such detail that I found myself nauseated at one point. That fact aside, I really enjoyed this book. While it probably stands on it's own without the reader's prior knowledge of Little Women, familiarity with the story really enriches the experience of reading it.

The Alcott family has always fascinated me. I visited Orchard House a few years ago and wish I could have spent more time there.

No comments: