Monday, February 6, 2012

The Princess and the Goblin





Finished The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald. Originally published in 1872, this is his first of two books featuring Princess Irene and Curdie. The book is fast paced and engaging. The character of Princess Irene's grandmother is especially interesting in her ability to morph from old to young, and to protect, guide and heal. The edition I read had wonderfully detailed drawings by Arthur Hughes.

I look forward to reading the sequel, The Princess and Curdie. The copy I have was given to me as a birthday present, in third grade, by my friend Anne. I remember trying to read the book at the time, but it was a bit too advanced for me. I did love the illustrations, also by Hughes, and was particularly fascinated by the idea of Curdie holding his hands in Irene's grandmother's fire of roses and not being burnt by it. Now I will finally find out what the scene was all about.

No comments: