Thursday, January 1, 2009

Small Rain: Verses from the Bible




Finished Small Rain: Verses of the Bible by Jessie Orton Jones. This book won the Caldecott Honor Medal in 1944. Normally I find picture books based on bits of The Bible somewhat annoying. Not this one. Most of the selected text is familiar, even to a heathen like me. Jones' illustrations are wonderful. Her style seems a blend of Norman Rockwell and Robert McCloskey. The drawings feature children of more than one race, and are so warm and engaging that I found myself really enjoying this book.

Another interlibrary loan. This time from the Spring Lake District Library, Spring Lake, MI.

1 comment:

Burgin Streetman said...

I just found you. Great site...

I'll put up a link. Check it out.

Vintage Kids' Books My Kid Loves
www.vintagechildrensbooksmykidloves.com