Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Hard Times




I finished Hard Times today. I've never finished my Christmas Dickens read before Christmas before. Very slight compared to last year's Little Dorrit, which took me way into February. Hard Times also has a much smaller cast of characters than the usual Dickens fare. A story of extremism and the dangers of living by facts alone. Children in Coketown are raised to respect facts and let their heads rule them at all times. Childrens' hearts are not squelched, they simply have no opportunity to develop them. As usual this leads to ruination. I rather liked this book. There are only one or two characters that you love to hate and everything gets tied up in a nice, neat, emotional bow at the end. The whole thing was so brief that I almost feel cheated.

No comments: