Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Man Who Invented Christmas: How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits



Finished The Man Who Invented Christmas by Les Standiford. I am always and forever interested in anything to do with A Christmas Carol, so I was very pleased to receive a copy of this book for Christmas in 2008. Having read many Dickens novels and assorted scholarly takes on them, this book was surprisingly light. It is not meant to be academic and it took me a few days to come to grips with that. It is a light retelling of Dickens' life leading up to the publication of A Christmas Carol, a book that he published on his own, choosing the fabric and lettering for the cover and which illustrations to include. It was something that he took tremendous pride in.

I learned a number of interesting tidbits from this book. One which particularly struck me is the fact that Disraeli was a novelist. Who knew? Disraeli is another Victorian who interests me greatly. I might have to track down a good biography of him as well.

No comments: