Friday, September 14, 2012

Deep Down True

Finished Deep Down True by Juliette Fay. This was another book purchased during the last days of Border's. It's the story of a women who finds herself divorced after fifteen years of marriage, having to step up and stand up for herself. Dana Stellgarten has always been too nice. She finds a part-time job, begins to date and takes in her goth teenage niece who is going through a rough time. She watches her daughter navigate the dicey politics of middle school girls and then finds herself doing the same with her own friends. Both of her children are deeply effected by the divorce. Her son grapples with his insecurities and her daughter hides an eating disorder. These are the everyday problems of real people. In some ways it seems like Dana was living in a box during her marriage and it takes the upheaval of divorce to bring her back out into the world. There were moments where I felt like this book was just too chick-lit for me, but I found myself thinking about the characters all the time. I especially liked Dana's dentist, then boss, Dr. Sakimoto. I enjoyed this book.

No comments: