Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Barnaby Rudge: A Tale of the Riots of 'Eighty



Finished Barnaby Rudge: A Tale of the Riots of 'Eighty by Charles Dickens.

Finally.

I'll say from the outset that this is my least favorite Dickens novel to date. The story is ghastly and the characters are wretched. I'd almost say that this is horror literature, based on the events that take place, but really it's just historical fiction. Dickens based his story on the Gordon Riots that took place in London in 1780. His ability to portray the uncontrollable rage of a mob is so advanced that the reader is disturbed and terrified throughout the novel. There are many good natured and well meaning characters to counter those who are evil and treacherous, but the sheer horror of the tale was just too much for me. I'm glad it's finally over.

No comments: