Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers




Finished I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers by Tim Madigan. As a journalist, Madigan interviewed Fred Rogers for an article in 1995, and the two began a strong friendship that lasted until Fred's death in 2003. In many ways Fred served as a mentor as well as a friend to Madigan, ministering to him and always signing his letters and e-mails to Madigan with "IPOY" (I'm proud of you). While the book describes their friendship, it also tells the story of Madigan's brother Steve's battle with, and death from Cancer. This book is honest, frank and so chock-full of warmth, that I found myself crying all the way through it. Especially at the very end.

I met Fred Rogers when I was about 8 years old, at his summer home, The Crooked House, on Nantucket Island. My uncle insisted that we invade Fred's privacy so that my sister and I could meet him. He was so kind and so gracious. I had always felt drawn to his quiet, reassuring voice and manner when I watched his television show. He is one of my heros. I miss him every day.

No comments: